Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 20

f7/30/10
"Imagining Italy"

As a friend spends time in Italy, I envy the sights she's seeing and pictures she's taking. For my 20th photo in this project, I decided to take a photo of a Roman or Italian-esque scene because of what I feel like I am missing out on, and to remind me what things I am getting to see. I am getting to see scenes that I've only passingly looked at, and see them in a whole new light. I was just amazed by the intricacy of the black lines in the tile work that you can see when you look at the large 4288 x 2848 pixel image. I wanted to use this angle to try to convey a large, cavernous space, giving this space (one of the entrances to the second floor of the Memorial Union) a look of grandeur that it normally might not project.


A short side note, the last four images I've taken have all been manually focused, and I love the raw element to it and how much more it involves me in the photograph. Additionally, I believe that so far, all of my photos have been done on Manual mode for both aperture and shutter speed, as well as what ISO the photo is done at. No using the camera as a crutch. I'm quite happy with the very little I've used photo editing. I don't have the ability to "fix" any problems with photos, and I only slightly adjust the exposure, contrast, saturation, etc, if anything at all. I only use photo editing software to compliment the beauty of my photos, not to force a good photo where there is none, and I'm very happy with the results.

Click for a larger photo.

3 comments:

  1. Neat, I couldn't have even told you what that was if I had just seen the picture by itself. It's amazing all the awesome things you walk right past all the time.

    -Ben G

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's really nice. I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Yeah, Ben, I can't say I went there in particular to photography this, but it was the most photogenic thing I saw when I stopped by. And the angle I saw it from was just different enough to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete