Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 17

7/27/10
"Not Playing with a Full Deck"

Today, my goal was to try to play a little bit with bokeh. Bokeh, for those not in with photography terms is playing with focus to create an aesthetic blur. Higher end, higher aperture lenses will perform this aesthetic blur nicer than the lens that I have, one of my motivations to get a 35mm prime lens with a f/1.8. That, and the aperture allows pictures at much lower light levels with higher shutter speeds so there is less blur. But back to the picture, I just laid out a partial deck of cards and focused near the center, but closer to the 3 of diamonds, for no real reason. It was just the card where I was trying to focus.

So, mark me down for a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens if anyone wants to buy me a present. That is on the list with a Nikkor 10-24mm AF-S and a Nikkor 70-300, or a 70-200 if  people are feeling really generous (at $2400, I would be surprised to have such wealthy and generous friends).

1 comment: