Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 18

7/28/10
"Wednesday on the Terrace"

It was another Wednesday night down by the Union. I ran over to see if I could get some more shots of the fire dancers, but none of them turned out nearly as good as anything last week, and it would have been too easy to post those yet again. Instead, I went down to the Terrace to hang out with my friend Dylan and some other friends on Dylan's birthday. While sitting at a bench down by the lake, I saw this image framed in my view. Instead of a nicely lit, perfect image that I would like to take, I realized the limitations of my lens and decided to go a different direction. Low ISO, grainy, raw, long shutter speed, blur, and overly saturated. Here, I got almost everything I wanted. The only flaw in my image, through my eyes, is the two green dots that came through the lens. Not quite sure what causes that, something with how the light interacts with the lens I'm sure, but its too bad.

I've realized over the last 18 days that I love low-light photography. Maybe because thats when I have the most time, or most motivation to go out and shoot. Maybe its just because of the shots and the life you can pick up even in the dark of night. This realization has made me think that, depending on my financial situation at the end of the summer, I might like to buy the Nikkor 35mm AF-S prime lens that I was looking at. It would be perfect for shooting landscapes and shots like this, and with the high f-stop of 1.8, it would be able to shoot a wide variety, from grainy, to nice and clear, and this lens also would give me more options for bokeh, which I would like to shoot more of. Then, it would probably be time to save up for a wide angle, which, again with a higher f-stop, I could shoot more photos like this and in a nice wide angle to get more in my frame.

Thats all for now, click for a larger image.

No comments:

Post a Comment